Monday, July 27, 2009

No promotion!

Can-I-Have-A-Latte-Sir is a piece of work. So I have been working for months on Mega Enterprise, really pulled out all the stops to show what I can do and how I totally add value to his team and the whole organization. He made me promise after promises about what he would get for me if I did all this.

So the promos were announced this week. You would never guess that I was totally screwed. Went to see Can-I-Have-A-Latte-Sir afterward and his attitude sucked. He said that I should be grateful that I have a job in this economic climate and that I should not complain. When I called him on his promises he said that it was his motivation technique to get his staff to "pull one out of the bag". I call that plain old fashioned lying.

I was so pissed I went to see Constantine. I explained the time line, what had been promised and what I had delivered. He nodded in a wise-old-man kind of way. He took a sip of Whiskey and then said "basically, you are fucked". I thought about this for a moment and then realized that this was the first truth that I had been given since I arrived. I thanked him and went and found a bottle of Tequila in my top drawer.

I went back to my day job. I worked hard and diligently. The next day Can-I-Have-A-Latte-Sir pulled me into a meeting room. He passed me a letter, perhaps more of an ultimatum. I read it. My blood boiled. Basically he has put me on a Performance Improvement Plan. I don't think this was a constructive act, since I think he took a poor view of escalating this to Constantine.

So he records every hour I am working, which makes me laugh since I get in at 8.32am every morning and the scum-bag gets in at 10.45am, claims he has been "on-line" since 6am. Does not seem to be able to answer an IM at that time. I don't have a lunch hour. I often work from home in the evenings and at weekend, but those are not credited. Every hour I'm late with a check-in he writes it down in a Black Moleskin binder.

I went to HR, they said, "You are out of f**king luck". Super. Glad I work at the next big internet story, aka "You are f**ked the first second you walk in".

This weeks food and drink
Beer : 0 (no more official drinking!)
Shots : 11 (I don't give a crap, so I drink at my desk)
Dinner : 0 nights (no more dinners!)
Weight : 183 lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment